1. Be extremely specific/niche. Find what's not already published on Amazon.
2. Blog about what you love.
3. If you need to make money off it, find a topic where "Something You Love" meets "Something People Will Pay For." You may love to write about your cat and the cutesy things he does. But will people pay for it? (I think this is one of the most overlooked insights in people trying to make money with their blog. It's not just, "blog every day with quality content." You've got to ask if you're putting out information that people are willing to pay for in some fashion.)
4. Break up copy with bold headlines, subheads, etc.
5. Have several beginnings of posts on your blog home page, where they can click for more.
6. Headline Tips:
- Be Concise
- Use full names of people and places
- Include key words and phrases
- Include story details.
8. Link back to earlier posts = 2 page views.
9. Ask for input - engage your audience!
10. To build a following, post every day for 30 days, then 2 - 3 x per week.
11. Comment on other blogs and track back.
12. Wordpress Direct (wpdirect.com) is search engine optimization on steroids.
13. Set up supporting blogs that link back to your main blog.
14. Reciprocal linking is suspect to Google - looks like an arrangement.
15. Try www.hootsuite.com to manage several of your social media (Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, etc.) at once.
16. Pre-populate your tweets and blogs to save hours.
17. People and search engines love "Top Ten," "How to..." and Videos.
18. Embed the video on your blog rather than just link to youtube.
19. Put your blog address on the video.
20. Try live streaming free at ustream.com, to connect with people in real time.
21. Monetize with e-books. The blog is the jumping off point.
22. Monetize with "Donate" button. "If anything I've written helped you, donate now." Just set up a merchant account with PayPal and embed the code.
23. One person with an airline insider weekly e-mail asks readers to donate once a year. It's enough to make a living. The average donation is $50 per month. He works at it full time.
24. Monetize with premium resources. So you have lots of free resources available, which lets them know you do quality stuff. Then you sell e-books or a members only section.
25. Monetize by being an Amazon Associate. When you recommend a book, you have a link to Amazon. If someone buys, you get a cut.
26. Monetize by selling ads. But you have to have a lot of traffic to make it work. You might do better approaching a compatible company than just going with Google Ads.
27. Approach other blogs with posts they could use. That gives you links coming back. Some successful bloggers get most of their traffic from other blogs.
28. Write guest posts for another blog or publication. One blogger writes a monthly column for her state's main newspaper. It gives her respect and brings people in.
29. Use 1.5 spacing. More inviting.
30. Go to Google Trends (http://www.google.com/trends) to find hot topics and hot searches. Other sources of trends = Technorati, Digg, StumbleUpon, Reddit.
31. Submit appropriate posts to article marketing directories such as http://ezinearticles.com/ or http://www.associatedcontent.com/.
32. Do clear calls to action: "Sign up for my newsletter," "Buy my book."
"Blogging is just like networking - the one with the most friends wins!"
"We need 1,000 eyeballs looking at our writing!"